Friday, November 24, 2006

Fun and Winter's Curse



The previous week has been fun and tragic. I went up to Edmonton only to find Melissa had been seeing some other guy, but that's okay because when she's at school, she can't close her eyes all the time. Sorry, corny joke. Where was I? Yes, we had fun all right. It was cool to see her in that environment, because I had yet to experience Edmonton Melissa and well I wanted to. Of course when she's never been to the West Ed Waterpark...
...I am a good influence. Anything to get people to go down lots of waterslides and play in wave pools is fine by me.
Anyways, on to the story of the hour, which is on the trip home. This was Tuesday night and Melissa had heard it'd be snowy. "I know, nothing bad," I said. Well it wasn't until about fifteen minutes before Red Deer the snow begins picking up. It's coming down well and the visibility is lessening. No biggie really, I'm sort of following this one truck and that makes it okay. Well I drive in that for about ten minutes when all of a sudden it gets worse. There is snow all over the road and blowing snow everywhere over the surface of the ground. I look for road lines. I can't see road lines. Where is my line? Where is the road? Who's to say? Well in this I drive, not knowing whether I will hit the ditch soon or later.
To make a long story short I may have encroached upon another car's lane going around a turn and he may have honked at me (it was bad, but not as dangerous as it seemed at the time). That convinced me I should probably not be driving anymore. So I sat at the side of the road for a while wondering what to do. I pulled on the road again only to be passed by a truck which kicked up so much snow that I couldn't see a thing. This told me I should have staying by the side. I began to pray about it, because it sucked. Melissa had offered to let me stay another night (I'm sure for selfish reasons), but here I am stuck on the side of the road not knowing whether I can go any further. Luckily I had hit the outskirts of Red Deer and I entered the city. I checked out some hotels, but couldn't figure why I'd spend that much money on one night. I prayed again and again. I embraced that I'd probably be coughing up $60.
Then to get to Gasoline Alley and a motel my dad had recommended I had to take a short trip back on Highway 2. It was pretty clear. There was no blowing snow and it seemed fine. So I said, maybe I'll drive home, if not I can always come back. And I did. And I got home. I like God. He defeats the evil horrors of winter.
He's pretty cool.
Sometimes life hits you like winter and that's the point. It's scary, but the stupid snow will go away. I'm still alive today and maybe I need a wake up call. Forget the maybe.

No comments: